Tuesday, August 10, 2010

This is why you're fat

When I was in Indonesia, my British friends liked to pick on Americans for being obese, even though our sampling over there was in pretty good shape. I would point out that their country wasn't doing too well on the scales either (confirmed somewhat by my actual visit there), but they would just ignore me.

Today I came across an article attacking the Brits' love of barbecue as a source of over-consumption for that increasingly portly nation. (By barbecue, they don't mean our honored and delicious tradition of smoked and fire-cooked meats, but just anything cooked over the flame.)

The article describes an average barbecue meal thusly:
...two sausages, one-and-a-half burgers, two chicken drumsticks, one and a half meat skewers, fish, a baked potato, a green side salad, pasta salad, a desert and – for the sake of healthiness, no doubt – a bowl of fruit salad to round the meal off.
Holy shit. By way of health advice, the article mentions that "one sausage is apparently much better than three." I love journalism that tells me things I couldn't possibly figure out on my own.

No comments: