Friday, September 12, 2008

More political meanderings

In my earlier post about 9/11, I mentioned the burden of being informed. We can only read so much.

My own attempts to stay informed often lead me to left-leaning publications. I like several websites that combine culture, entertainment, business, and politics (such as Salon, Time, and Slate); unfortunately, most of these lean in a singular political direction, which somewhat limits some of the debate that could occur in my own mind. However, I feel that an awareness of the biases of what I read help me make a fairer interpretation of the source, even though I am not taking in such a rounded field of opinion. (Perhaps I am just another victim of the much-discussed "liberal media bias.")

When I wrote about 9/11, I was aware of an article recently published in Salon, "What's the difference between Palin and Muslim fundamentalists? Lipstick." However, I didn't want to link to the article without having a chance to read it.

I won't offer much for commentary here, but I will say that it is an interesting and thought-provoking article. Take a look and see what you think.

And it plays off of the jokes I mentioned earlier, which gives this post that nice level of self reflexivity that I enjoy so much.

No comments: