Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cops and Denny's

Somehow, I ended up at Denny's at about 11:30 on a Friday night for the second straight week. Both times, the folks that I was keeping company with were hungry and sit-down food sounded better than fast food. I suggested the Airport Way Family Diner, but Rowan proclaimed the place scary and dangerous. I have never been scared there, but I did once see a girl wearing an epileptic seizure helmet.

So we ended up at Denny's. Our waitress was older but spunky, initially commenting, with much sarcasm, how much she loved her job.

About halfway through our meal, I noticed a guy with a backpack go into the bathroom (I had a straight line of sight to the facilities from my seat). I thought the backpack was a little strange, but thought little more about it.

Until the cops showed up. I heard one of them ask the waitress if she had seen a guy in all black and a backpack. I interjected and pointed them to the restroom. They got the guy to open the door and then arrested him.

When we were paying our bill, one of the cashiers said something about the cops.

"Yeah, that was kinda crazy, huh?" I said.

"Not really," she replied. "Happens all the time. That's why we changed our weekend hours."

And Denny's had been our choice as a safe haven. I don't even want to think about what kind of shit went down at the family diner.

Anyway, once again I was able to uphold truth and justice, but this time I offered up my services for free. The hero's life, it's tough sometimes.

No comments: